Whether you have just started to look at investment properties or you have finally found the perfect one that you want to buy, if you hear lead paint, you may have to take a step back. Lead paint is harmful and can change the way that you look at a piece of property.

So, what are the dangers of lead paint?

Lead is highly toxic and can cause a range of problems, especially in young children (who are more likely to consume it). These include:

  • Overall bad health- headaches, stomachaches, irritability
  • Damage to vital organs – kidney, liver, blood
  • Brain damage, including seizures
  • Behavioral problems
  • Learning problems
  • Death

Which properties commonly have lead paint?

Homes built before 1978 are more likely to have lead paint in them. Even if your older home has been repainted multiple times, it may still have traces of lead paint in it. It can also have lead pipes in it, poisoning people through the drinking water.

What you should do once you find out a potential property has lead paint?

Move on. Many investors decide that it is not worth their trouble to buy a property that has lead paint. They don’t want the hassle of making the property habitable again. It can be too much work (or cost too much for their investment).

Abatement services. There are two options when it comes to dealing with lead paint. You can remove it, or you can paint the wall with special paint and sealants to make the home safe again. Either way, you need to hire a lead-safe certified contractor to do the job. These contractors know exactly what to do to remove the lead paint safely, without harming themselves, their crew, and you.

Though many run from lead paint, you don’t have to. By hiring a certified contractor, you can make the home habitable again (and even profitable)!